Saturday, November 5, 2011

Who's Your Mummy?

About a week ago, Halloween got me thinking about mummies. I thought about time traveling to South America to 5000 B.C. to see the Chinchorro mummies, but because I am studying Ancient Egypt I decided to go back in time to 2625 B.C. when the mummies were being made there. I was most interested in finding out about how the mummies were embalmed. The embalmers let me watch the embalming process. And I have got to say I was grossed out!

First the embalmers would carefully cut a small slit and remove the stomach, liver, intestines, and lungs through it, setting each one aside. After removing these organs, the Egyptians left the heart in the body because they believed that it was the center of life. The other organs were washed in natron (a salt-like substance), coated with resin, wrapped in linen strips, and stored in decorative pottery called Canopic Jars. The jars were supposed to protect the organs for the journey to the afterlife. A long hook was used to smash the brain and pull it out through the nose. This part was the grossest part. Next I saw them cover the whole body in natron, which was to be left to dry out for forty days. I obviously did not stay there for that long so they told me what would happen later. After it dried out, they would cover the body in oils and spices. Then the body would be ready to be wrapped in linen, which how we think mummies are supposed to look.

Although I time traveled to see an intentional mummy, I have also learned about mummies that are created in natural conditions. Mummies have been found in ice in places like the Italian Alps and Greenland. Even in Egypt natural mummies have been found buried in sand. Natural elements such as sand and ice will preserve bodies by drying or freezing them. I highly recommend watching National Geographic’s Secrets of the Pharaohs (available on Netflix).  You can watch a scientist recreate the ancient mummification process.

Do you have any questions about mummies that you would like to ask?

My Homemade Mummy

By: Ace Wells

Sources used:

"Mummification." British Museum. n.d. Web. 5 Nov. 2011
http://www.ancientegypt.co.uk/mummies/home.html

"Mummification." BrainPOP. n.d Web. 25 Oct. 2011
http://www.brainpop.com/socialstudies/worldhistory/mummies

20 comments:

  1. Oh, my. Mummies are cool, but all that stuff with the guts must've been hard to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why did they put the other organs in jars?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if mummies smell nice and spicy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did you not pass out or throw up as you watched this process?

    Do you know of any cultures other than the ones mentioned here that practiced mummification?

    Very thorough explanation, Ace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only one question: "Where are all the daddies?"

    Just kidding of course - it is really interesting and kind of cool to hang around on earth thousands of years after being alive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The whole mummy thing fascinates me. Even though it was gross, I think it's cool you were able to view the process. Who was mummy worthy back then? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OHMYGOSH. Talk about GROSSed out. But it is interesting, isn't it? You hear about scientists finding people who died 5000 years ago in the Andes which is dry or Siberia or the Swiss Alps, which are very cold, and they are naturally mummified. But goodness, people making mummies? Like, even of their dogs? Kinda weird!

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW, as you may have seen, Canopic jars = COOOOOOOOOOoooool!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canopic_jar

    ReplyDelete
  9. Through the nose?! So when they get to the afterlife their brains are smashed? I think I'd rather be flash-frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I took my kids to see the MUMMIES exhibit at the Milwaukee Public Museum last spring and it was so fascinating. A bit gross, but mostly fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool post! And fascinating'

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was wondering why they preserved the other organs, but smashed the brain? Didn't the mummies need their brains in the afterlife?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't understand about the pulling the brain out through the nose. This doesn't seem possible. Are you sure?

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is super gross. I wonder if the doctors of the time were in charge of this process? I read somewhere that they left that heart in, so it could be weighed in the afterlife against a feather to see if the person had led and honest life. That's kinda cool. Thanks for the awesome article Ace.

    XO Trish

    ReplyDelete
  15. PS. What is your homemade mummy made of?
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was wondering the same thing as San Diego Momma-- what's the point of keeping the organs if you're just going to get rid of the brain? Did the gods eat them or reassemble the parts once you got judged or something? (Or eat them as offerings? IDK, they all had animal heads, anything's possible!) Thanks for the cool, if gross, information!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ San Diego Momma and She Curmudgeon

    The egyptians believed that the heart was the center of the body and controlled everything. They also believed that if the heart controlled your body then there was no use for the brain. They probably through it away. Weird if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cool! That's how I want to go when I die. I am sure my brain is small enough to fit through my nose. Or maybe my nose is big enough.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just had my appendix out three weeks ago. I wonder if they saved it in a canopic jar for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Are there cultures today that still practice this in some way? I hope they washed their hands!

    ReplyDelete