Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Behind the Scenes: The Outsiders

The Outsiders is a book that was written by S.E. Hinton and published on April 24, 1967. It was also a movie that was released into theaters on March 25, 1983. C. Thomas Howell played the main character, Ponyboy Curtis. The director was Francis Ford Coppola. Some of the cast members of this movie are in the “Hollywood Brat Pack.” The Hollywood Brat Pack is a name for a group of actors who often acted together in films from the 1980s. The author, S.E. Hinton, was sixteen when she wrote the book. She made a cameo appearance as Dally’s nurse in the movie.

This movie is set in the 1960s and is told from the point of view of Ponyboy Curtis, who is also the protagonist. He and his brothers, Darry (Darrel) and Sodapop, live together. Ever since their parents died, Darry was the adult at home. They were all members of a gang. This gang included Johnny (sometime called Johnnycakes), Dally (Dallas), and Two-Bit (Keith).

The story is about Johnny and Ponyboy. They did something illegal and they had to run away. The author used a lot of irony and some foreshadowing. The ending of this book was kind of sad but it ended with Ponyboy returning home safely. 

My favorite character was Cherry Valance, Ponyboy’s soc friend. I am not sure if I could relate to any of the characters in the story, even though they seem relatable. I particularly disliked Darry because he was really hard on Ponyboy. I liked how the author told the story in the first person because the perspective never changes.

Overall, I liked this book and the movie. I would recommend the movie, but watch the complete novel version because the original version leaves some scenes out. I think that kids over twelve would enjoy and understand this book best, and it suits both boys and girls. This book is kind of sad, so people who do not like sad books probably would not like this book very much. You should definitely read the book before watching the movie, but do both, because the book and the movie were both great. 

Have you read or seen The Outsiders? What did you think of it? 

By Adele Wells

8 comments:

  1. Oh I read it indeed and loved it. I saw the movie once too. Aside from the specific story, it is about being a teenager, written by a teenager, and the movie starred all these teenagers and when the movie came out I was a teenager and later, as a high school teacher, I taught it to teenagers. Basically, it is about how hard it is to be a teenager, I think :) Al those actors in 83, well, most of them, had really great careers after this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Adele. I read the book and watched the movie too, but I can barely remember the plot. I remember Matt Dillon starred and that I thought Ponyboy was a funny name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the movie again just a month ago! It was one of my favorite books way back when.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw The Outsiders when it first came out; I was 11 years old at the time. I don't think I really gave it its due, and I appreciate this entry for encouraging me to go back & re-watch. If nothing else, it'll be interesting to see all the future stars when they were so young.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is what I was thinking, the movie was a really big deal when it came out, amongst everybody I knew---in '83 I was 17, and except for the fantastic Patrick Swayze who was older, Rob Lowe and Emilio and all the rest of the guys were about my age, and we all kinda grew up together, metaphorically. Side issue, Ace and Adele, but if I was you, I would try to watch all of Patrick Swayze's movies. VERY entertaining in my opinon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, bow I loved The Brat Pack, this movie, and the book. But especially The Brat Pack. I was a Brat Pack Stalker and you were not even born yet, Adele.

    Great job on this, and thank you for reminding me of how much I liked The Outsiders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read today that The Outsiders will be released as an e-book soon.

    ReplyDelete