Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Ace Visits The Great Pyramid

When I first found out how to time travel, the first thing I wanted to do was go back and see how the blocks were made and stacked for the Ancient Egyptian pyramids. I decided to go back to 2589 B.C.E. to see how the Great Pyramid was built. I wanted to see it because it is the oldest of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World and is the only Wonder still in existence.

I met up with a man who was chiseling a large piece of limestone. I introduced myself and he said his name was Nefertum. I asked him how they got the large stones so smooth and square. I was so surprised when he showed me simple tools including chisels and boning rods that were used to smooth the stone. Just like Machu Picchu, the stones were so skillfully fit that not even a knife blade could fit in between them.

I looked over my shoulder and saw people hauling giant stones up a long ramp to the pyramid. I asked what the ramp was for and he said as the pyramid grew higher, the ramp would grow longer and higher so the workers could haul stones up the ramp to set the next layer. After the pyramid was complete they would remove the ramp.

I asked Nefertum if the workers were slaves because I knew that was a popular myth. He told me that most of the men building the pyramids were skilled laborers. He added that during the annual flooding season of the Nile, the peasants left their flooded fields to help with the building. It was a real community effort!

The Great Pyramid was built by Khufu to be his final resting place. It was built in Giza, which is currently near the modern city of Cairo. Although it was still under construction when I was there, the finished pyramid was 481 feet tall. The Great Pyramid is the tallest pyramid in the world.

I have a question for you. Do you know who is buried in Khufu’s tomb?

By: Ace Wells




Sources Used:


Spielvogel, Jackson J. Journey Across Time. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2005.
Print.

Putnam, James. Eyewitness Pyramid. New York: DK Publishing, 2011. Print.

“Into The Great Pyramid.” National Geographic. 2002. Film.

“Pyramids.” The British Museum. n.d. Web. 16 Nov. 2011 http://www.ancientegypt.co.uk/pyramids/home.html

7 comments:

  1. It wasn't King Tut, was it? But seriously, I like the detail you put into your story. I would sure like to see the Great Pyramid someday myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, who IS in that tomb? And its true...very surprising that cultures thousands of miles apart and so different had pyramids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many years did it take to build it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think pyramids are fascinating, but I don't think I'd like to buried in one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to hear more about the other Wonders of the World!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would I be wrong to guess that Khufu is buried in Khufu’s tomb?

    I wonder how many workers it took and how long it took to build the tallest pyramid in the world??

    - trish

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I ever learned to time travel, Ancient Egypt would be high on my list as a destination. I thought slaves built the pyramids, too. Thanks for busting that myth. And my guess is Khufu is buried in the tomb with his name (although, that's probably the obvious answer, and therefore wrong). Tell us!

    ReplyDelete