Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Movie Review by Ace: Back to the Future

Dr. Emmett Brown's Time Machine

Ace and Adele's Time Machines

Since Adele and I discovered how to create a time machine, I decided to do some research on some other time machines in movies to get an idea of how to improve ours. I watched Back to the Future for the first time. Back to the Future was released on July 3, 1985. Many famous stars were acting in this movie including Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly. Crispin Glover plays George McFly, Lea Thompson plays Lorraine Baines, Thomas F. Wilson plays Biff Tannen, and Claudia Wells plays Jennifer Parker. Dr. Emmett Brown aka “Doc” is played by Christopher Lloyd. Back to the Future is a comedy adventure. The film is rated PG13.

Why is it called “Back to the Future”? Keep reading to find out.

At the beginning of the movie set in the 1980s, high school student Marty McFly does not have the most pleasant of lives. The principal at his school thinks Marty is a slacker. Marty also has a nerdy father (George) and a mother with problems of her own. In high school Marty’s parents suffered bullying by peers. The main bully, Biff, is now George’s supervisor at work. One weird character in Marty's life is a scientist named Doc who is working on a time machine powered by plutonium. Accidentally warped back into the 1950s, without enough plutonium to get back, Marty interferes with his mother and father’s history the day they met and fell in love. Marty must now reunite his parents or else he will not exist in the 1980s. Marty also has to figure out a way to get “Back to The Future”, therefore giving the movie its name. Getting back to the future won't be easy though, especially because Biff, now also a teenager, is making matters worse.

Although Back to the Future came out twenty-five years ago, I still really liked it because the topic is current with bullying in schools that we read about in the news. Also, the clothing and hairstyles are very amusing. I think Back to the Future is still relevant today, and is a great movie for adults and teens but has some strong language and themes. Have you seen this movie in the past few years?

By: Ace Wells

11 comments:

  1. We watched the whole trilogy a few months ago. Fun movies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice review, and I like the way you compared it to modern themes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that movie. It may or may not be because i remember the 80's. I even remember those cars. Hey, Isn't plutonium dangerous?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Job One of my favorite movies. I loved the review

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't have said it better myself. Nice job. Good movie. (My laptop is the one on the right) (just kidding) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not watched this movie in a long time, but now I want to see it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy, i remember this like it was yesterday, when I was a teenager myself! The thing is, you DO suddenly find that a load of time has passed and you remember so clearly when you were a bit younger. I am glad you saw the bullying aspect and reported on it, but my favorite character was and is Christopher Lloyd, a funny guy in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's one of my favorite movies. Last year the film was re-released in theaters for two nights. It was the first time since 1985 that it was in theaters (except for some brief times when the sequels were released).

    When I was a kid I saw the sequels in the theater, but I was far too young to see the first. It was a real treat seeing it in the theater last year, plus since it's such a beloved movie, the crowd really enjoyed it. Some guy even dressed up as the 2015 clothing Doc, and pulled it off really well.

    Have you and Adele seen the sequels? They're not as good as the first, but still really entertaining. I think BTTF3 is a real visual and musical treat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen — or thought about — this movie in years! But, you reminded me how much I enjoyed it when I saw it for the first time. Thank you for jarring my memory. I'm sure my sons will enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great review! You made me want to watch the movie again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love everything about this post. I got to see it in theaters recently. Being able to see it in the theater was like time traveling too. Nice.

    ReplyDelete